Monday, May 9, 2011

I Wanna A Cookie!

“Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
James 1:12

Children know how to persevere, especially if they really want something – like a cookie for instance. Have you ever experienced that a child on a cookie mission? It goes something like this: “Can I have a cookie please? I wanna cookie please, I wanna a cookie, cookie… cookie… cookie” Eventually we all know the child will get the cookie because we adults just don’t have the stamina to keep saying no, we would rather just have the child be quiet already. We get like that with God sometimes don’t we? Some may say we are being impatient, while others will recognize our perseverance.

In today’s verse James tells us that if we persevere through the hard times we will be rewarded. In the story of the persistent widow found in Luke 18 we see this I wanna a cookie principle at work. The widow is not being treated fairly and keeps going to the judge demanding she receive her due – finally the judge gives in and she get what she desires. Yes it is true that we must wait on God’s timing but as we wait we are to be persistent in our prayers calling out day and night until we get what we need.

Most of the time I would consider myself a persistent person, I keep working at something until I have accomplished it. However, I have to admit that I am not good as asking more than once for something I need, especially from God. I just say I need… and when the answer I want is not forth coming I am quick to assume the answer is really no, instead of assuming the answer is a “not yet” or even a “how badly do you want it…will you keep asking?” Can you relate?

Are you going through something that needs an answer today, maybe needed an answer yesterday? I want to encourage you to be persistent in your conversations with the Lord and in asking for what you need – I know the answer is coming… I just don’t know when so stand firmly in His presence until you get it.

A prayer
Father – You know how impatient we can be and how we at times lack persistence and faith. Forgive us for our lack of faith as we face the trials of life. Grant us the strength to persevere when all we see is darkness before us. When we finally get our answer may we rejoice with everything that is in us for Your goodness and provision. In the name of Jesus Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment