Monday, October 3, 2011

When You've Had A Hard Week

“Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”
2 Corinthians 1:2-4

It had been a hard week – it was only Monday and it had already been filled with disappointment and struggle. That’s when I sat down to do some reading for school, that’s when I came across today’s passage in a book about pastoral counseling. I have to admit it was just what I needed to hear – I could feel the tension level lower as I was reminded that we serve a God of comfort and compassion.

As the week continued – my spirit seemed a bit lighter not because things got easier, but because I could feel the grace and peace of God along with his comfort flowing into my heart and mind. Then the words of encouragement started coming from people who care about me – what a difference a few words can make.

What kind of week did you have? What kind of week will we have? I can’t see beyond the moment that I am writing this – at least not clearly. But it doesn’t really matter does it – Jesus will be present with us, walking each step with us bringing us comfort and encouragement when we need it.

We can comfort one another because we have received comfort from our amazing God. Consider yourself reminded that you are not alone – we have God and each other.

A prayer
Father – Thank you for the peace, grace and comfort you give us. You already know what kind of week we will each have, grant us what we need to celebrate the victories and recover from the struggles. Bring us words of encouragement and help us to encourage others. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Years later, your words were perfect for today! My now adult daughter had to lay her cat down last night ... this was her first time. Miles apart, I only had words to comfort her. God continues to bless peace to me through your words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn so sorry about your daughter's cat. Glad you commented on this one - seems I needed it as well. So glad you are encouraged.

    ReplyDelete