Monday, March 12, 2012

Sacrifice of Love

“Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”
Ephesians 5:1-2

I’ve been thinking about what it looks like to be an imitator of God or more precisely an imitator of Jesus. Certainly there are things that we can do, like caring for those in need and showing love to those who the world ignores. We can set aside our selfish desires and work to make the world a better place, but I think there is more to it than just doing stuff.

I have been thinking about Jesus’ attitude as he served the sick, washed the feet of his disciples and had dinner with those who were outcasts - the tax collectors and sinners. Rarely was he thanked, usually he was questioned by the “religious authorities” and no doubt people talked behind his back. Never once have I read that he felt unappreciated (even though he was) even as he hung dying on the cross the closest thing we get to a complaint is his cry of “my God, my God why have you forsaken me” (Matt. 27:46).

I have been wondering how my attitude is when I am striving to be the hands and feet of God. Am I serving so that my life reflects Jesus, so my life is a living sacrifice or am I serving in hopes of receiving the some kind of praise from the world? I want to not only do the kinds of things that Jesus did, I want to have the attitude and motivation He had as well.

I want my life to be a sacrifice of love, with no expectation for getting anything back until that day when I stand before the throne and look Jesus in the face. What about you?

A prayer
Father – to echo the Psalmist teach us to walk in your ways. In this world it can be so easy to do the “right” things for all the wrong reasons, so help us to have a right attitude, help us to be motivated by our love for you and you alone. Thank you for being patient with us as we become less and you become more. May our lives be a sacrifice of love. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment