Monday, May 21, 2012

Time for a Joy Break


Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

“A source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone (emphasis mine) greatly valued or appreciated” is just one of the ways Dictionary.com defines joy. The psalmist says speaking of the LORD “You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound” (Psalm 4:7). Jesus is our primary source and cause of keen pleasure or delight and He gives us greater joy than anything else - even an abundant harvest - just because He loves us.

What else is causing you to feel joyful today? Are you experiencing great weather? Are you enjoying your family? Do you find joy in the work you do? Maybe you are finding joy in the simple fact that you were able to get out of bed this morning. Are there people in your life bringing you joy by just being present with you in the trials of life? Can you hear birds singing where you are? Do you have opportunities to admire God’s creation? Have you seen God answer your prayers or the prayers of someone near and dear to you?

Just knowing that God loves us is enough to fill us to overflowing with joy and if you can answer yes to even just one of the questions above you definitely need to make time for a joy break. When I take a joy break - I like to spend some time just talking with the Lord and thanking Him not only for how wonderfully He loves me but for everything else as well. Listing everything that is causing me keen pleasure lifts my spirits and makes me feel lighter. I suspect that if I could see God’s face as He watches my response to Him - that maybe He considers me to be a cause of keen pleasure to Himself.

Take a joy break today - you and God will both be glad you did.

A Prayer
Father - Thank you for filling our lives with joy even in the hard times. Help us to share that delight with you today as we take time to celebrate that joy. In the name of Jesus the source of our joy, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment