Monday, July 16, 2012

Joy of the Redeemed

“The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy. The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God. Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, ‘Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.’ Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy. Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert. The burning sand will become a pool, the thirsty ground bubbling springs. In the haunts where jackals once lay, grass and reeds and papyrus will grow."
Isaiah 35:1-7

I recently ran across something I had written a number of years ago for a class I was taking at the Nazarene Bible College, so I thought I would share it with you.

The Old Testament context of this passage is the state of the Hebrew people at the time the passage was written. The Israelite kingdom is divided. Judah – the Southern kingdom, where Isaiah resides is living in relative peace, having been protected from Assyrian and Egyptian attacks. Israel – the Northern Kingdom has been destroyed by the Assyrians. Israel must have been in rebellion against God and they are under judgment and have been exiled.

Isaiah is writing about a time when the people of Israel will turn back to God and be restored to their city Jerusalem. The two kingdoms may indeed be united at this time with all of the Hebrew people redeemed and living once again in obedience to God.

Having turned from God, Israel is like the dessert, barren and uninhabitable. Isaiah tells us that when the people have been returned to their right relationship with the Living God. They will once again be a Holy People. What was barren will become like a garden, land and soul alike. The people will rejoice at their healing. Holiness brings healing, to the relationship between God and the individual as well as to the nations – even to all of creation.

If I were to put this passage from Isaiah into my own words it might read something like this: My parched soul will be glad. My dry life will be made joyful. I will be restored to my former glory, before I fell. I will sing praise for the goodness and mercy shown me. Fear will no longer rule my life. I will be strong in the Lord. My eyes will be opened to the destruction of my sin and to the light of my salvation. I will hear God’s voice – He will heal my sin-sickened heart and I will be new and fresh and my relationship with God will make me holy.

The prophet Isaiah has such a clear vision of what it will be like when God’s people truly turn from their selfish desires, and return to Him. Barren hearts will bloom with joy. Eyes blinded by the deception of sin will be opened to the beauty of obedience to a Holy and Loving God. Cities and Nations will live in safety and peace for God will protect His people from the enemy.

Then we will find joy in God’s redemption.

A Prayer
Father - only you can make us holy as You are holy. We have been fearfully and wonderfully made in Your image to be holy, yet we often make the choice to allow ourselves to be blinded by the things of this world. We allow our relationship with You to be crippled by doubt. Redeem us from our selfishness. Draw us back to Your heart. Hear our hearts cry out in surrender and helplessness. Restore us to who you made us to be. In the name of Jesus our Redeemer, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment