Monday, March 18, 2013

All We Need is Love

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s command and remain in his love. …This is my command: Love each other.”
John 15:9-10, 17

“Love, love, love all you need is love, love is all you need” that’s what the Beatle’s sang. I am not a Beatle’s fan but as I was thinking about today’s passage these words of the song came to mind. Perhaps we could change them to read: Love, love, love because of Love, all you need is love.   

Jesus loved his disciples because He was loved by the Father. So He wants his disciples to love others because He has loved them. Earlier in his Gospel John shares similar words from Jesus “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35). 

The Greek word translated as love is agape - it is defined “as the active love of God for his Son and his people, and the active love his people are to have for God, each other, and even enemies. For the humans who live in this world, the command to love one another can be a tall order. 

Spring is at hand, trees are blooming and soon some will bear fruit. The branches of fruit trees cannot bear fruit without the roots that nourish and water them. We cannot love as we are called to love without Jesus and the Holy Spirit. If we are to love as Jesus loved, if we are to love because Jesus loved, we must stay close to Him. We must live by His example. 

Love, love, love - Yes, all we need is love - God’s love. This week as He fills you with His love, show that love to others, especially to those who are hard to love. By that others will see God’s love and you will bear the fruit you are meant to. 

A Prayer
Father, thank you for the love relationship you have with Your Son. Thank you that Your Son loves us so much, even when we are undeserving. Help us to love as we have been loved. In the name of Jesus our Savior, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment