Monday, November 4, 2013

Giving Thanks Every Day

“We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers.”
1 Thessalonians 1:2

I always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in my prayers, that revision of this week’s passage better reflects my sentiments as I reflect on the days gone by and the remaining days in this year. I have been blessed with the privilege of sending words of encouragement around the world for more years than I can remember now and in return I have been greatly encouraged myself.  

Many regions of the world have some form of thanksgiving celebration, usually tied to the end of harvest time, which seems an appropriate time for that kind of celebration. But giving thanks should not be saved for that time when a nation or community sets time a side just for giving thanks, we have so much to be thankful for, we need to give thanks every day.

We live on an amazing planet that allows us to experience the majesty of creation everyday - from tropical paradises, to the power of the seas, to the majesty of the mountain and the incredible beasts that can be found around the world. Just living as part of this beautiful creation gives us plenty to be thankful for.

But there is more, we are also surrounded by friends and family who love us, pray for us, cry with us, laugh with us and encourage us when we feel like we just cannot take another step. It can be so easy to take the people in our lives for granted and so we must choose to thank them and to give thanks for them. 

William Shakespeare once said, “Oh, Lord, who lends me life. Lend me a heart replete with thankfulness.” Every breath we take is a gift from the One who created us, may we also ask for hearts replete with thankfulness every day.

I will be giving thanks for each of you and for the many who will read this that I do not know, and I will be praying that the Lord I serve will supply your every need. 

Make everyday a thanksgiving day. 

A Prayer
Father, thank you for the incredible planet you made for us to live on. Thank you for the friends and family that surround us and walk with us through this life wherever the journey takes us. Thank you for life itself and give us hearts filled to overflowing with thankfulness every day. Thank you for supplying every need that we have and for the many blessings you bestow on us each day. In the name of Jesus, we pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment