Monday, March 31, 2014

A New Attitude


“You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”
Ephesians 4:22-24 

I have a confession - my attitude lately has not been the best, in fact is it well and truly in need of a major adjustment. Perhaps, that it why the word’s of Patti LaBelle’s 1985 hit New Attitude popped into my head. To be honest I am not a Patti LaBelle fan - so it just goes to show that God does indeed work in mysterious ways. How has your attitude been lately? 

The apostle Paul actually talks quite a bit about our attitudes. In today’s passage he reminds the Ephesians that they were suppose to have new attitudes. In his letter to the Philippians Paul tells them “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 2:5)” and he also talks about our attitudes in Romans 15. 

A particular line in Patti LaBelle’s song caught my attention “I tidied up my point of view, I got a new attitude…my worries are few cause I’ve got love like I never knew…” As followers of Christ we have a love like we never knew, in fact it is a love that we have a hard time understanding. Yet, it is that love that gave Christ the attitude we are suppose to model to the rest of the world.  

Isaiah speaking of the suffering servant who is Christ Jesus says: “He was despised and rejected…a man of sorrow and familiar with suffering, and we esteemed him not” (Isaiah 53:3), yet He did not complain, His servant attitude never wavered even as He carried his cross to Golgotha, even as the nails pierced His flesh - He showed us the attitude we should have. 

The season of Lent is a great time for an attitude adjustment. Let’s try to see life from Jesus’ point of view and allow His love for us to give us new attitudes. 

A Prayer
Father, sometimes I don’t understand how you can put up with our lousy attitudes, but thank you for never giving up on us. Help us to see the world around us, the people around us through the eyes of your Son, so that we can adjust our hearts and take on His servant’s attitude. In the name of Jesus who can give us a new attitude, we pray - Amen.


.




No comments:

Post a Comment