Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Little Things = Big Differences


“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothes me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”
Matthew 25:35-36

A smile and friendly wave and help tame traffic. Loaning a set of golf clubs can set a divine appointment in motion. A quiet conversation, where you listen more than speak can change a heart. A simple in the moment prayer and remind someone they are not alone. Little things can make a huge difference.

Many reading this may recognize this week’s passage from a section of Matthew’s Gospel titled “The Sheep and the Goats” the passage is really about the judgment of God - the sheep enter into the Kingdom of God and the goats well… you know - don’t. As I was reading this week’s passage it occurred to me that the things the commended or condemned the people were little things - water, food, clothes, company and care, no mention of winning wars, life endangering acts or acts requiring large sums of money. These little things equaled a huge difference at the throne of God.  

If these little things are so easy why did some of the people fail to make a difference in the life of someone else? I think it’s possible that we just get to busy to see the need. We have so much to do that stopping to look someone in the eye, to hear their heart and give them what they need to feel loved in the moment, is just not at the top of our to do lists - even though we might need that for ourselves as well. 

In a land of plenty it is easy to forget that there are people who hunger and thirst, people who are all alone in need of a hug and a prayer - simple things we are all capable of doing.

This week I challenge you pay attention to the little things that make a difference in your life and then take time to do something little for someone else. 

It simple really…little things = big differences.

A Prayer
Father - thank you for the lessons Your word teaches us. May we see the needs of those around us and do the little things needed to show your love to them. Thank you for the little things that have made big differences in our own lives. In the name Jesus, we pray - Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment