Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Between the Extremes


“Two things I ask of you, LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.”
Proverbs 30:7-9

I had stared at the computer screen for two days trying to discern what the Holy Spirit was speaking into my heart. My thoughts wondered to the dangers of the extremes of both poverty and wealth. Poverty driven crime surrounds us and celebrity excesses seems to regularly lead to some sort of tragic end. Hopelessness and despair reside in both of these extremes.

The Scriptures speak to these extremes and as in this week’s passage warn against living in either condition. Rather, scripture encourages a life of faith lived between the extremes. Elsewhere in the book of Proverbs we read “The wealth of the rich is their fortified city, but poverty is the ruin of the poor” (Proverbs 10:15). But what about life in the in between, don’t the people living there get discouraged? Aren’t they tempted by fame, wealth or power? How many of us are just a step away from the despair poverty brings? How do we find the right balance, especially when life has been beating us up?

Well I think the prophet Isaiah says it pretty well: “but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31). Feeling discouraged - hope in the Lord and be encouraged. Sick and tired of being sick and tired - hope in the Lord and find healing and rest. Worried - hope in the Lord and find peace. 

As you strive to live between the extremes - hope in the Lord, He will stand on His promises to provide for every need you have.

A Prayer
Father - Thank you that we can live between the world’s extremes because we can hope in You. Remind us daily that we need to keep our eyes on you and our hearts filled with your Spirit - so we will be encouraged, have peace and find healing and rest. In the name Jesus, in whom we hope - Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment