Thursday, January 29, 2015

When You Go


“The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”
Genesis 12:1-3

Going can be difficult. Imagine what must have been going through Abram’s mind when the Lord tells him he wants him to leave everything behind and go to a land he doesn’t even know the name of yet. “But, Lord I am happy here, I have friends and family here. I am making a living here.” Maybe he thought “can’t you bless me here, can’t you do what you want to do with my life here?” 

In our modern world I would dare say that none of us really want to be made into a great nation by God or anyone else - after all the nations of this planet have their own issues, who needs another nation to come along and add to the mess. So that wouldn’t be a good motivator for going somewhere new. But who doesn’t want to be blessed? Who doesn’t occasionally wish that God would do something with those people who cause us pain? Who doesn’t want to make a positive impact on the world around them? Would these promises be enough to make you go? 

God may not tell you to go to a mystery country; He may tell you to change jobs, or the city you live in. Maybe He will have you move to a new state or change the church you are attending. For all the uncertainty that change brings - that going brings; His promises of blessing are worth the potential pain and stress. 

If, like Abram, God tells you to go - will you step out in faith to follow him to the blessings He has for you? For the blessing He will make you in that new place? 

So where are you going this week? When you go - trust the One with the map. 

A Prayer
Father - Going must have been hard for Abram and I know it is hard for us. Help us be obedient when you call us to go and help us to focus on the things you promise us when we do. Thank you for going with us on the journey and for not leaving us alone in the wilderness of life. Protect us from those who would hinder us. Bless us so that we can bless others. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment