Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Amazing Gratitude

“I am in pain and distress; may your salvation. O God, protect me. I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.”
Psalm 69:29-30

Almost 30 years ago as my 30th birthday approached, a birthday that coincides with Thanksgiving, I was told that I was being laid off a job I had held for 10 years. Happy birthday to me…woohoo! NOT! Shortly after receiving that awesome news, we sat around the table of Thanksgiving; it was my turn to pray – my turn to give thanks. It was hard and emotional, but I was not alone. Throughout history people have stopped to give God thanks and praise in the midst of pain and difficulty – this is amazing gratitude and David knew what it was like.

For most of us raised with manners saying “please and thank you” is just something taken for granted, easily spoken most of the time – nothing amazing really. But the likes of King David and the prophet Habakkuk regularly gave thanks in the midst of their storms. That is the case with David in Psalm 69. While this Psalm, in my opinion could have been complete with just these two verses. The Psalmist expresses his pain, asks God to meet the need and praises him with thanks. Read all the verses leading up to this week’s passage and it is clear that David is in a dark place – he under attack from outside and from within himself, but he still finds a way to leave it with God and to practice amazing gratitude.

Habakkuk speaks with God; they are in conversation about what it coming if the people don’t straighten up. Habakkuk knows what’s coming and his response is amazing, even as the storm swirls he says: “…yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior” (Habakkuk 3:18).

Sitting at that table 29 years ago, with tears falling I thanked God for His provision, for what He had in store for me – even though I had no idea what that was. Thanked him for the new journey and His protection along the way. That journey has taken many detours, led me into the wilderness and the doldrums. It has taken me places I would have never imagined and it has taught me amazing gratitude.

Where are you in this season of Thanksgiving? Are you in pain and distress? Are you in the wilderness? In the doldrums? Walking through the valley of the shadow of death? It doesn’t really matter where you find yourself, when you trust in God it is possible to experience and express amazing gratitude.

More than a simple thank you – it’s amazing gratitude.

A Prayer
Father, you know our world and lives are filled with pain and distress. Help us to be like your servants David and Habakkuk in practicing amazing gratitude. May those expressions of gratitude overflow into the lives of those who don’t know or trust you yet – for that will please you more than anything else we can do. In the name of Jesus, we pray – Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment