Friday, February 12, 2016

Listen To Him

“While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to Him!’”
Matthew 17:5

What a scene this must have been. Peter, James and John had gone with Jesus for a mountain top experience and what an experience they had. First Jesus starts to glow – not a creepy toxic green glow but a super bright pure light – then if that isn’t enough Moses and Elijah show up. That wouldn’t have been such a big deal, if say they had just happened to have climbed up the other side of the mountain and it was a chance meeting. But Moses had been dead for generations and well Elijah just went straight to heaven without the whole dying bit first and let’s not forget that Moses and Elijah would never have met in the first place. Overwhelmed by what they were witnessing Peter speaks right up - oh it’s good we are here! Jesus do you want us to set up camp, I’ll make shelters for each of you guys? While Peter is talking a cloud settles over the mountain and it talks to them! Wow and they end up on their faces.

Then Jesus spoke to them – He told them to “get up and to not be afraid” (Matthew 17:7). I don’t know about you but I would want to listen well to everything Jesus said after that. What kinds of things does Jesus say? What should we be listening for? I broke out a red letter Bible to have a conversation with Him and He pointed out some things we would be wise to listen to. Here’s a short list:

“Follow me.” (John 1:43)

“Don’t turn my Father’s house into a super Wal-Mart” (John 2:16)

“To see the kingdom of God you must be born again – spiritually.” (John 3:3)

“I know everything about you – so you might as well be honest with Me.” (John 4:17-18)

“If you are without sin – go ahead and throw that stone.” (John 8:7)

“I command you to love each other as I have loved you” (John 15:12)

“In this world you will have trouble (with a capital T) but don’t worry because I have overcome the world: (John 16:33)

“Love God and love others” (Mark 12:30-31)

“Forgive and you will be forgiven” (Luke 6:37)

“I AM the way and the truth and the life. No one come to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)

“I AM the resurrection and the life – believe that and you will live forever. Do you believe?” (John 11:25-26)

Stuff worth listening to for sure. Words spoken out of divine love and concern for mankind; words spoken to help us live life well and righteously. Words spoken by the One who was given so that we could be reconciled with the One who made us.

During this season of Lent, quiet your heart and listen to Him.

A Prayer
Father – thank you for the words of life spoken to us by your Son. Give us ears to hear, minds to understand and hearts willing to act. Help us to say yes when He asks us if we believe. Give us the courage, wisdom and strength to do all that His words demand of us. In the name of Jesus, who speaks divine love and life into us, we pray – Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment