Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Mountain Climbing

“It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights.”
Psalm 18:32-33

At the time I am writing this there is a great song playing on Christian radio called Trust In You by Lauren Daigle, at its core it is about trusting God simply because He is God – even when mountains don’t move, waters don’t part and prayers seem to go unanswered. As I was thinking about the song, I was reminded that just because that mountain doesn’t move doesn’t mean we should stand there staring up at the peak – sometimes it doesn’t move because we need to go mountain climbing.

The whole of Psalm 18 is about the amazing strength of God and how He not only uses it for our good but He also makes it available to us – He helps us climb mountains. This week’s passage reminds us that God gives us the strength that we need, that He’ll make the way perfect even if it is one step at a time. God can make us sure footed like a mountain deer who can easily reach the peaks of the mountains they live on. I like how The Message put it: “Is it not God who armed me, then aimed me in the right direction? Now I run like a deer; I’m king of the mountain.”

Sometimes He will move the mountains, part the waters and answer your prayers quickly and in the way we want. Sometimes we may have to climb the mountain, take a swim or wait for an answer – whichever way it happens we can trust in Him because He is God.

During this season of Lent I don’t know what today or tomorrow holds, I don’t know what dreams you have or what mountains might be in the way – what I do know is that He is our strength and our God and we can trust in Him.

A Prayer
Father – thank you for arming us with Your strength and for enabling us to climb the mountains that You chose not to move. Help us to trust you each day; taking whatever step we need to take and showing others how to walk in Your way and strength. In the name of Jesus – our mountain climbing guide, we pray – Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment