Friday, June 17, 2016

You've Got A Friend

It might surprise some of you to learn that when I was much younger and so, so much more foolish I thought I would a singer. I even took voice lessons for a couple of years, with this idea in mind. Eventually, I would come to the realization that I wasn’t cut out for that work. I did enjoy the voice lessons though. Of course there were the compulsory scales and vocal exercises but I got to pick what kind of songs we worked on; nothing too out there, lots of Barbara Mandrell, some Olivia Newton-John, Carly Simon and James Taylor. As I’ve contemplated on many of the tragic events, some private and many that have been in news of late, James Taylor’s song You’ve Got A Friend has been bouncing around in my head.

This world is a scary place to go it alone in. There are things pulling at us from every angle, telling us we’ll have all we need if we just… Telling us that this or that is ok, that if it feels good do it, sometimes telling us that being good is boring and that being just a little bad is exciting. Sometimes the people we should be able to turn to for solace, advise and love are just as messed up as we are and maybe more so. These days when the realization of the world’s lies hit us, it seems like we are prepared to hurt ourselves or someone else in order to make it better – it feels like the world has chosen to grab on to hopelessness and the result is disastrous. King David understood the pain of life on this planet, I think he would have been able to relate to the words in James Taylor’s song: “when you’re down and troubled and you need a helping hand…Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there. You just call out my name and you know wherever I am I’ll come running.” David had been there, this week’s passage is just one of many examples of David crying out to God in the midst of difficult times and God being there with him, picking him up, dragging him out of the pit, the lies of this world cause us to fall into.

Scripture makes it clear that we all need authentic, intimate, face-to-face friendships to help us navigate life, to give us hugs and shoulders and a hand up. David assures us that in those times when it feels like your best and most trusted friends have abandoned you – there is still One who will be there all you have to do is call. The Lord, the God of the universe heard David’s call and He’ll hear ours too.

“Ain’t it good to know that you’ve got a friend” and all you have to do is call His name. Make sure you share that good news with someone this week.

A Prayer
Father – thank you for hearing us when we call your name. Thank you at Your Son calls us friend. It’s good to know that you are ready to meet us at our place of need with your amazing grace and love. Lord, help your people lead the way toward transforming our world by authentically living out what Jesus called the greatest commandment – to love You and others, that way everyone can rejoice in knowing we’ve got a friend in each other and especially in you. In the name of Jesus, our friend and brother we pray – Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment