Monday, July 4, 2011

Rainbow Reminder

“And God said, ‘This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.’”
Genesis 9:12-16

A late June rain and some recent news stories had me thinking about Noah. There were the stories about the floods happening in parts the United States and a story about a man in the Netherlands who has built a full size ark, built to Biblical specs, sea worthy and filled with fake animals. Noah had found favor in God’s eyes all those generations ago and he and his family were protected from God’s wrath. God rewarded Noah’s faithfulness and obedience with a special gift – the very first rainbow! This rainbow also served as the symbol for a divine promise, the kind of promise that will not be broken. But what about now how does this apply to us now?

This life is full of storms and floods do come into our lives. Some floods of course are the too much water in the river sort but others are perhaps less obvious unless you are in the midst of it. The continued effects of the bad economy are definitely a storm and for some the flood is still rising. The losses of a loved one, an unexpected bad report from the doctor are also storms that can threaten to overwhelm us with the flood. I am sure you can think of other things – what storms are you facing? Are you keeping an eye on the rising water and looking to escape to higher ground? There is good news – I think Noah’s rainbow reaches through time and reminds us that God will not let us be overcome by life’s storms. Oh we may have to face them, but they will not destroy us.

I don’t know if you will see an actual rainbow today but the promise is there every day. Grab a hold of it and know that you will come through the storm, changed perhaps, but by the grace and love of God better for having made it through. May you have the rainbow reminder that you need today and anytime you face life’s storms.

A prayer
Father – Thank you for rainbows, for the reminder that they are of your love us. Protect us from the floods we face in our lives and fill us with the promise of your peace. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment