Monday, November 14, 2011

Believe This...Not That

“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free”
John 8:32

I would hazard a guess that most of those reading this would say they are honest, that they don’t lie, but I wonder…do any of the following statements sound familiar?

I’m a failure and no good. I’m so lonely and miserable. I can’t lose weight. No one will ever love me. People will like me if I do what they want. It is wrong and un-Christian to think of my own needs.

Can you think of similar things you may be saying to yourself? These are all lies… we humans quite often lie to ourselves without even realizing it and we believe every word we tell ourselves, until we are emotional wrecks afraid to take chances or risk being hurt.

But what is the truth? What should we be telling ourselves instead so that we can be set free, from our lying self-talk, our depression, anger, anxiety, self-hate and fear? What about:

I am deeply loved by God so I am important. The Lord himself goes before me He will never leave me or forsake me. I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me. Jesus loves me so much that he laid down his life for me – I am of great worth. Scripture says “love your neighbor AS yourself” (Mark 12:31) it doesn’t say better than yourself it says as yourself.

This week take time to listen to what you are saying to yourself and if you catch yourself telling lies – replace those lies with the truth and as today’s verse says – you will be set free to be everything God intends for you to be.

A prayer
Father – Forgive us for the times when we lie to ourselves, cheapening the value You have given us. Help us to fill our minds with the truth that we are worthy, gifted, and lovable. Help us to encourage others to see the truth as well. Thank you for Your forgiveness and Your truth that is made clear to us through Your Son Jesus – it is in his name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment