Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Checking the Foundation

“As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck the house but could not shake it, because it was well built.”
Luke 6:47-48

My husband and I live in an older home and for quite some time we have suspected there might be problems with the foundation. A recent observation has pretty well confirmed that thought. This got me thinking about the foundation of life, the foundation of my life and of your life.

We all must build our life on some kind of foundation; some will be stronger than others. Jesus is the foundation of my life; in fact He is the cornerstone and capstone of my life too - He holds it altogether. Now I will be the first to say that living a life built on the solid rock of Christ is not easy and the repeated earthquakes and storms of life can cause some damage to that foundation. But unlike the foundation of my home the foundation of my life comes with an eternal warranty. 

Whenever I start to notice cracks or some crumbling at the edges all I need to do is call on the One who laid it and who holds it together. He shows up, reminds me of the warranty and sets to work patching and reinforcing the foundation of my life so I can keep living out the plan He has for my life.

How is the foundation of your life? Have you built it on something less than eternal? Is it starting to crack and crumble under the repeated stress of life’s earthquakes and storms? It is never too late to have a new life foundation laid, one with an eternal warranty that cannot be shaken. Maybe your foundation just needs some work because it has been taking a beating by the storms of life, if so just call on Jesus. He laid it and He will ensure that it stays strong and when it is time He will lay an even better one. 

You can never be too careful… take time to check the foundation. 

A Prayer
Father, thank you for giving us life foundations with eternal warranties. Help us to call on the name of Your Son Jesus whenever we think there is a problem, so that He can keep us standing strong in the midst of life’s earthquakes and storms. In the name of Jesus, who laid our foundations and guarantees their stability, we pray - Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment