Thursday, June 25, 2015

Just Because You Can't See...


“Then Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.’”
John 20:29

Six days a week I experience something very unusual. The U.S. headquarters of Garmin – think portable GPS units – are just down the street from the church where I work. It is a large complex with a multi-story building at its center. Ok, not really too much unusual about that description, I know. Every morning when we drive past on the way to the church I see the Garmin building usually against the dawn sky. On the way home, however, I don’t see it unless I make a real effort to look for it. I don’t know if it’s the landscaping around it, the prominence of the Garmin sign on the corner or that my mind is elsewhere, I just don’t see it for whatever reason. The result - every morning I am just a little amazed to see that tall Garmin building standing against the pale morning sky.

In this week’s passage Jesus is having a chat to Thomas – you know of doubting fame. Thomas had been out when Jesus made his first post resurrection visit to the upper room and despite the other’s he had been doing life with telling him Jesus had been there, they had seen him, talked to him – Thomas was having none of it. He wasn’t going to believe until he had seen and touched Jesus himself. That’s where we come in on the scene. While I am sure Jesus was pleased that Thomas finally “got it” I often wonder what went on in Jesus’ mind when dealing with these sorts of situations. Jesus however makes it clear that those who believe even without seeing are a step ahead somehow in the faith department. 

Where are you in all of this? Are you willing to believe when you cannot see? Are you someone who needs proof? If you are a modern day follower of Christ chances are there was a point when you believed without proof, but maybe life on this planet has caused doubt - is that you?

If you have been following Jesus for any length of time and find yourself doubting, questioning why your prayers haven’t been answered the way you want or wondering whether or not you have enough faith. Take look behind you. Can you see where He was with you in the past? If yes then trust that, because He is unchanging, that just because you can’t see doesn’t mean that He isn’t there. If you are new to this thing called faith in Christ or are looking for that one thing you are missing in life - it’s ok to ask Him for what you need to believe.

I don’t need to see the Garmin building on my way home to know that it’s there - because it is. It’s kind of nice every morning to be a little amazed by its presence against the sky. I don’t need to see the nail scars that Jesus bears to know He’s real; I have experienced His work and presence in my life many times. So even when I can’t see Him - I know He’s there.

I want to encourage you to believe that just because you can’t see doesn’t mean He is not there working in your life, drawing you nearer to His heart. Trust, have just a tiny bit of faith and be amazed every day.

A Prayer
Father, thank you for allowing us our doubts and for sometimes giving us the proof we need to believe. Help us to grow in our knowledge of You so that when we can’t see You working or feel You near, we will still believe Jesus is who He says He is and be ready for the blessings that come with that. Help us when needed to be the proof of You when someone else is doubting. In the name of Jesus - who is there even when we can’t see, we pray - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment