Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Please Welcome...Amber Lawrence!

think Twitter is magical. I created a twitter account so I could follow the church I am on staff with and to have another avenue for sharing Something Special For You – then all of a sudden Twitter is letting me know that so and so is following you and I’m like “What?!” how does that happen.

A while back I got just such a message from Twitter saying someone named Amber Lawrence was following me. My first response was who is that and how did she stumble across me? So I followed her right back.

Some of you know that for a several years now Australia has become a near obsession – don’t know why but the Lord has a reason for it and some day He’ll let me in on the plan.

Anyway – since I am not feeling well this week I thought would share a blog I read that encourages me - so please Welcome to Something Special For You – Award winning Australian Country Music singer/songwriter and motivational blogger… Amber Lawrence! 

The her blog this month is titled 

How nerves don’t get the better of me anymore 

When I worked in an office, a long time ago, before I had the dream to become a singer and songwriter – I used to sit in the safety and comfort of my job most days. I generally didn’t have to put myself ‘out there’, exposing myself to my fear of failure, embarrassment or discomfort.

Once my life merged more towards my current job – i.e. getting up on stage and playing songs that I’d written, in front of strangers, not really knowing if I’m any good or not. Or writing a blog and posting it on the internet for anyone to read and analyse, I realised I was a bundle of nerves and maybe even insecurity. A bundle of nervous energy trying to impress people, and not evening knowing why. And more importantly, not knowing how to not think that way.

But then, about 2 years ago, I flicked on the radio, and Trevor Hendy was being interviewed. Trevor Hendy is an ex high achieving sportsman, Ironman, Surf Lifesaver and someone I loved watching compete on TV back when I was a Surf Lifesaver. He now operates an online coaching program called ‘Boot Camp for the Soul’. So his chat on radio was being derived from all of these experiences.

The one point I took from the chat was in reference to how to calm yourself down before a performance (Trevor Hendy was talking about sport), but I was able to see how it applies for music, performance and life in general. Now I’m paraphrasing here – but it was a comment along the lines of “when you’re nervous, concentrate on the fact that you are giving something of yourself to the very best of your ability. You are giving it without a need for anything in return. It is a gift”. I don’t know if this sounds a bit weird or not – but it’s certainly worked for me. By standing in front of an audience with an attitude of ‘I’m giving the best of myself, that’s the best I can do’, it somehow helps my nerves disappear! It’s kind of like you melt away the need to be accepted because you’ve accepted yourself first. It’s just a different way of looking at things I guess. Thinking that way – when 100 thoughts are flying through my mind about ‘not being good enough’ – allows me to slow down my breathing, smile, have fun and get on with the job. Thanks Trevor!

I perform a lot of shows in schools, and a common question I get asked is ‘how can I stop feeling nervous’? I generally respond with these 3 points:

1. Breathe – if you can slow down your breathing, and not panic – no matter how many nerves you tell yourself you have – your breathing will save you. If you still have air, you won’t die, or choke on stage!

2. Think along the lines of my Trevor Hendy mantra – ‘you are giving your best’ how could anyone not appreciate that? (of course if you’re not giving your best, and just “phoning it in,’ perhaps you’ll still feel nervous).

3. On the whole, I truly believe audiences don’t want you to suck! They are not waiting for you to fail. They want you to be good, so just go on and be good! Simple hey?

Love this quote about not letting nerves get the best of you, from basketball great Shaquille O’Neal:

"I don’t get nervous in any situation. There’s no such thing as nerves when you’re playing games"

So I guess what he’s saying is do your best and have some fun!

How do you deal with nerves? and when do you get nervous?

Have a great day xx

Amber



Amber thanks so much for letting me share your wonderful thoughts about overcoming nerves – so important because we can all let that get in the way of becoming who we are supposed to be.


Amber’s blog can be found at www.followingyourarrow.com

Find her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/amberlawrencemusic

Follow her on Twitter @amberlawrence

Check out her music on YouTube



A Prayer
Father, thank you that technology can bring us together from all over the world. Continue to inspire and bless Amber as she writes songs to touch lives and writes words to encourage and motivate others to be their best selves. In Jesus’ name - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment