Friday, May 20, 2016

Dear God,

“Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart have multiplied; free me from my anguish. Look upon my affliction and my distress and take away all my sins. See how my enemies have increased and how fiercely they hate me! Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in you.”
Psalm 25:16-21

As I sat writing this devotion an awesome song is racing up the Australian music charts. The song from Australian singer/songwriter Delta Goodrem is called Dear Life. The song is awesome for lots of reasons, soaring music, Delta’s amazing voice – but it’s the message that tugs at my heart most of all. The lyrics acknowledge the complexity, the high and lows of life and how it can be so hard to understand all that life holds for us. The soaring chorus with the phrase “I’m a survivor” is no wipe your brow, just barely got pass that rough patch sentiment, rather it is a YES! I have overcome, I have been victorious – hope filled anthem. It reminds of some of King David’s Psalms.

This week’s passage is one of those Psalms. Can you imagine David in one of the many life storms he faced saying “Dear God, turn to me, can you see me? Be with me, help me understand. I am a survivor because I can take refuge in you, because my hope is in you!” Others in Scripture have similar heart cries. Habakkuk who asks dear God questions, who understands well that God’s replies means he will face difficult times, yet he still sings a song of victory and hope. Paul also in the midst of life’s many storms is filled with hope and overcoming power because of his relationship with the maker and giver of life.

For some reading this, perhaps you have just come through a storm into calm seas – you fought and won a battle with the cancer or major surgery will allow you to live without pain. Perhaps finally that job you have needed has become a reality. Whatever the battle has been your cry of I’m a survivor can be victorious and hope filled. For others of you, the sky ahead is just now darkening, a storm is brewing – victory and hope seem far off and understanding the why of it all is just plain hard. Be like King David, like the prophet Habakkuk and the Apostle Paul – let your heart’s cry be - Dear God.

He does see you, He will help you do what needs to be done, He holds amazing things for you in His hands and by His love and grace you will overcome and be a victorious, hope filled survivor.

A Prayer
Dear God – Thank you for seeing us in our everyday lives and in the storms we face. Help us each day to do what is right. We know that because Your ways are so much higher than ours, we cannot fully understand the amazing things your hold in your hands for us – but give us an occasional glimpse of your heart for us and the purpose you have in mind for us to fulfill. Thank you that we, by your love and grace, will overcome and be victorious, hope filled survivors on our way to eternity. May we share that hope, love and grace with those around us. In the name of Jesus, who is the ultimate survivor, we pray – Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment