Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Bare Feet

“When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, ‘Moses! Moses!’ And Moses said, ‘Here I am.’ ‘Do not come any closer,’ God said, ‘Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.’”
Exodus 3:4-5

When I was young I rarely went barefoot, not because I didn’t like to go without shoes but because I was embarrassed by my really big feet. These days I like to go barefoot while I’m working at church. Sometimes I just need that holy ground experience. Going barefoot helps me remember to be in communion and constant communication with the Lord.

This is one of the best passages of Old Testament scripture. Moses’ life had a number of pivotal moments and detours, this particular one would take him on a journey he could not have possibly imagined and began a barefoot friendship with the Creator of the universe. Scripture doesn’t tell us how many times Moses took his sandals off as he met with God, but I imagine it was often and perhaps he made the journey to the edge of the Promise land without His sandals because he understood he was totally reliant on the Lord to do everything he had been called upon to do. If there are shoes in eternity I reckon Moses will be barefoot and if he is - I’ll be taking mine off as well.

We will all have many pivotal moments in our lives but we don’t need a burning bush to learn we are standing on holy ground. We are on holy ground any time we recognize and respond to the voice of God’s Spirit whispering to us. You can be on holy ground in the mountains, on the seashore, in church or your workplace and even at home. We can find peace and comfort when we find ourselves bare foot on holy ground in the midst of one of life’s many storms. We will be bare foot and rejoicing as we are overwhelmed by the joy we experience on God’s mountain top.

Wherever you are in life - sailing smoothly on a calm sea with just the right amount of breeze, fighting against the gale force winds of some life storm, in a valley facing a time of growth or on the mountain top shouting praises you can find a piece of holy ground to stand on.

I’m taking my shoes off so I can walk on holy ground with bare feet – why not join me?

A Prayer
Father – Thank you for the way your Word speaks to us to practically. Thank you for calling to us, asking us to join you on holy ground with bare feet. Help us to seek your presence every time we have our shoes off, so that we can be in communion and constant communication with you. Give us opportunities to invite others to take their shoes off and stand in Your presence on holy ground. In the name of Jesus, we pray – Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment