Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Unchain My Heart, Unclench My Teeth

“Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. ‘Quick, get up!’ he said, and the chains fell off Peter’s wrists.”
Acts 12:7

The words from the song Unchain My Heart had been running about in my head. Not sure why, it’s not a song that would normally be on my radar. Every time the phrase “unchain my heart” plowed through it was followed by “unclench my teeth” – insert a chuckle here. Ok I have to confess that I do clench my teeth. I started doing that when I was a massage therapist – not from stress but from concentrating on what I was doing. In those days I stayed mindful of what my mouth was doing by working with a sour apple Jolly Rancher in my mouth. I still clench my teeth, mostly still when I am really concentrating on something, but now also when I am feeling weighted down my something. I should probably keep Jolly Ranchers on my desk, but I have a better strategy these days – I stop what I am doing and open up God’s Word or crank up some Christian music.

I have a number of favorite passages from God’s Word - this week’s is one of them. I wonder if Peter clenched his teeth sometimes – maybe as he was being arrested. I love however how despite the stressful situation Peter found himself in he could sleep soundly, so soundly that the angel sent to rescue him had to wake him up. Peter could sleep so well because his heart had been unchained by his risen Savior and Lord – Jesus.

When we allow Jesus, to unchain our hearts He can unclench our teeth as well. What has you feeling chained up? What has you clenching your teeth? Jesus and His Holy Spirit are right there with you. He can and will free your heart and bring you peace of mind even if you will still have go through the storm, you will be able to sing – unchain my heart, unclench my teeth – knowing that He will do that for you.

A Prayer
Father – Thank you for unchaining our hearts with Your love. In those times when we feel like life is closing in or the storm is going to overwhelm us – fill us with your peach, unclench our teeth. Be present to us in a new and powerful way. As we see you working Your plan out in our lives, give us opportunities to walk along side others who need to know You so You can unchain their hearts as well. In the name of Jesus, who holds the key to our hearts we pray – Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment