Monday, September 11, 2017

Spears and Grace

“Here us the king’s spear,’ David answered. ‘Let one of your young men come over and get it. The Lord rewards every man for his righteousness and faithfulness. The Lord delivered you into my hands today, but I would not lay a hand on the Lord’s anointed. As surely as I valued your life today, so may the Lord value my life and deliver me from all trouble.’ Then Saul said to David, ‘may you be blessed, my son David; you will do great things and surely triumph.’ So David went on his way, and Saul Returned home.”
1 Samuel 26:22-25

There are times in life when people in our lives become spear throwers and we find ourselves ducking for cover or wounded. I know what that feels like it take a hit from a spear thrown by someone, who I would not have thought could do such a thing. Spears are whizzing past my head again, whizzing past others and I care for and my heart aches for those who have been wounded. I’ll be honest this sort of behavior irritates me and I have been struggling as old wounds feel like they are being re-opened and because I don’t want anyone to go through the kind of pain I faced at the hand of a spear thrower. It has taken almost two weeks of talking with God about not wanting to be all brimstone and fire in my response to the drama in my world and to find a way to bring encouragement to those under fire. That’s when David came to mind.

King Saul had become a spear thrower and David was his target. Saul had thrown two literal spears at David in an attempt to kill him. Once David has escaped, Saul continues to pursue him. This week’s passage marks the second time that David could have become a spear thrower himself and taken Saul’s life to stop the relentless pursuit and save his own skin. Two times the Lord had delivered Saul into the hands of David and his men. Two times David chose to show grace, to behave in a righteous manner toward Saul. David chose to continue respecting the office of the King, even if perhaps he no longer respected the Saul himself. David chose to act in a manner pleasing to the Lord God, taking the higher road of grace and mercy.

So what do we do, how do we respond when people in our lives become spear throwers? We take our lead from David. Learn to duck and then remember that the person throwing spears is made in the image of God like we are. Remember that they are just sinners in need of grace like we are. When given the opportunity to let fly a spear of our own, don’t. Lay that spear down and let that spear thrower know you are not going to treat them the way they are treating you.

David reminds us that the Lord will reward us for our righteous behavior and our faithfulness.

I pray that no one is throwing spears at you right now but if they are I hope that you will choose grace instead of picking up a spear.

A Prayer
Father – I ask that you would touch the hearts of the spear throwers in our lives. Forgive them Lord for throwing spears out of fear, anger, jealousy or whatever. Teach us to evade the spears that are whizzing past us and help us to respond with grace rather than spears of our own. In the name of Jesus, who show us grace when we are at out worse – Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment